Since 2010, LASOS (Linking All So Others Succeed) has been providing family literacy classes to support non-English-speaking parents and their children, ensuring that their children are healthy and entering school ready to learn.
The Parent-Child “Building Blocks” Education Program is a three month span of weekly classes for parents and their children ages six months to five years. The general topic areas include:
- Overview of Parenting
- Physical Needs of the Young Child
- Childhood Illnesses
- Understanding Children’s Behavior
- Cognitive and Language Development
- Emotional Needs of Children
- Social Needs of Children
- Self-Awareness and Goal Setting
- Nutrition and the Young Child
- Prenatal and Infant Needs
All sessions are set in the context of story time and hands-on play.
The sessions are modeled for the parents so that at home they can be the child's first teacher.
Classes are held in Aberdeen, Bel Air and Edgewood
- Ages: 6 months – 18 months
- Ages: 18 months – 3 years
- Ages: 3 years — 5 years